Thursday, August 03, 2006

I have no internet... Or do i?

Well it has come to pass that the place where i sleep no longer has internet...

Unsurprisingly this has me quite disturbed. Where do i get my gaming, where can i sit and relax and just do as i please online with my own desktop... that now sits idle... though GLMatrix does look so pretty.

I am eHomeless bound to wander from ap to ap in search of signal leeching any and all internet connections i can find.

This post is brought to you by my unsuspecting neihbour whos proffesional IT training (hes got a rack mount dell server running win2k server, its amazing what a few open ports shows) hasnt extended so far as to setting any security keys on his wireless ap.

But it has extended so far as to be very profficient in setting up a firewall.

Im online to chat ... Just.

His firewall has port 5222 blocked. I am natively jabberless. But firewalls are wonderfull things and my port scan showed he left 22 open on his firewall outgoing.

Shell acounts to the rescue!

Logging into my university shell acount i quickly got a stable connection past the firewall on port 22 (one of the only open ports) from the unviersity i proceeded to SSH via the use of the corkscrew proxy tunnel for ssh (the university firewall allows almost all ports it seems provided they authenticate with the proxy :-)

So from university i can ssh out to another more open box running on a higher port number ( Unixclan, i have to buy you a beer sometime dude )

And now the fun begins, Im now logged into a box i can actualy use as i please with plenty of open access, at last...
So up goes irc logging into im.bitlbee.org and connecting to msn and google talk.

Phew, the input is laggy, ive only got ascii (hurray!) but its the internet !

I with no permanant internet connection to call my own... am online.

Nothing Stops the Dragon Breaking Free

and nothing helps him out right now like a stiff drink! ;-)

1 comment:

unixclan said...

If you happen to be referring to my service, I don't drink much, but a paypal tip or few links would be nice.

-- Unixclan free debian shell